Trump Says U.S. Is ‘Locked And Loaded’ After Attack On Saudi Oil Plant

President Trump said the United States is “locked and loaded” to retaliate against those individuals responsible for an attack on a Saudi oil processing facility and an oil field.

The series of tweets on Sunday evening came after Yemen’s Houthi rebels reportedly took credit for the attack, which affected the world’s largest oil processing facility at Abqaiq and an oil field in Khurais, the Washington Examiner reports.

The president tweeted: “Based on the attack on Saudi Arabia, which may have an impact on oil prices, I have authorized the release of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, if needed, in a to-be-determined amount sufficient to keep the markets well-supplied.”

“I have also informed all appropriate agencies to expedite approvals of the oil pipelines currently in the permitting process in Texas and various other States,” he added.

The Washington Examiner reports the Trump administration is blaming Iran:

The president’s authorization comes after Yemen’s Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for Saturday’s “large-scale” operation involving 10 drones that targeted the largest oil processing facility in the world at Abqaiq and an oil field at Khurais. It was the largest series of attacks on Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure in over a decade.

The nation was then forced to stop half of its oil production for the rest of the day, which resulted in 5 million lost barrels — approximately 5% of the world’s daily crude oil production. Prices for crude oil have risen significantly in the aftermath.

The Trump administration has since blamed the attacks on Iran, with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo asserting that “there is no evidence the attacks came from Yemen.” Iran, however, has rejected the accusation.

In another tweet, Trump said “we know the culprit” but was awaiting verification.

“Saudi Arabia oil supply was attacked. There is reason to believe that we know the culprit, are locked and loaded depending on verification, but are waiting to hear from the Kingdom as to who they believe was the cause of this attack, and under what terms we would proceed!” Trump said.

ABC News reports an unidentified “Trump administration official” told them that the Trump team believes Iran was involved with the attack.

Here’s more:

Iran launched nearly a dozen cruise missiles and over 20 drones from its territory in the attack on a key Saudi oil facility Saturday, a senior Trump administration official told ABC News Sunday.

It is an extraordinary charge to make, that Iran used missiles and drones to attack its neighbor and rival Saudi Arabia, as the region teeters on the edge of high tensions.

The Trump administration, in particular Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, has blamed Iran for the attack since Saturday, but so far, there’s been no public accusation that Iran launched missiles.

On Monday morning, Saudi Arabia reportedly verified that Iran had some responsibility in the attack as the weapons used in the attack “came from Iran,” AFP reports.