BREAKING NEWS: Weinstein Pleads Not Guilty To Rape, Sexual Misconduct Charges

Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein plead not guilty concerning sexual misconduct charges filed against him in a New York courtroom on Tuesday morning.

After being arrested and being charged with sexual assault and rape, Weinstein was set free on a $1 million bail. The former film producer was forced to wear a GPS tracking device and had to surrender his passport to authorities.

As Fox News reports, Weinstein was indicted last week by a grand jury following the allegations involving two women.

BBC added that the 66-year-old “could face up to 25 years in prison if convicted of either offense, which relates to [the] two women.”

Weinstein “has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than 70 women,” according to the report, and currently facing other investigations in Los Angeles, London, and by the US federal government.

From the Fox News report:

One alleged victim, who has not been identified publicly, told investigators that Weinstein cornered her in a hotel room and raped her. The other accuser, former actress Lucia Evans, has gone public with her account of Weinstein forcing her to perform oral sex at his office in 2004. The Associated Press does not identify alleged victims of sexual assaults unless they come forward publicly.

Dozens more women have accused him of sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to assault.

The 66-year-old Weinstein has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex. His lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, has challenged the credibility of his alleged victims and says his client is confident he is going to clear his name.

According to the report, Weinstein’s lawyer said the rape allegation is “absurd” and said his client and the woman who brought forth the allegation maintained a relationship for more than ten years, which continued following the 2013 incident.

ABC News reports an insider’s account from NYPD’s former Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce who was involved with a 2015 sexual assault case against Weinstein:

“Reading news reports for leads, is that normal?” Boyce said in an interview. “No, nothing’s normal about this case.”

Because of the ongoing investigation and prosecution, Boyce remains prohibited from revealing all he knows, but his account was complemented with reporting from additional sources.

Investigators felt they had been burned once before, Boyce said, when Manhattan prosecutors declined to proceed with charges in 2015 despite receiving an audio recording which seemed to capture Weinstein confessing to touching the breasts of a model. This time, Boyce said, the NYPD’s top brass was determined to pursue every lead.

Continued:

Boyce assigned a pair of ace detectives – Sgt. Keri Thompson and Det. Nicholas DiGaudio of the elite Special Victim’s Division Cold Case Unit – to the case and asked to be personally informed of their progress.

They started with tips – calls to the NYPD’s rape hotline, referrals from women who said they witnessed abuse or had been victims themselves and, crucially, according to Boyce, media reports detailing years of abusive behavior from his perch atop the film industry that helped investigators home in on Weinstein’s alleged modus operandi.

“We saw common threads,” Boyce said. “The same type of thing — luring women to the locations. He isolates women under a lure of career opportunities.”

Note: The author of this article has included commentary that expresses an opinion and analysis of the facts.

DISCLAIMER: Views expressed in articles do not necessarily reflect the views held by Sarah Palin.