BREAKING: Former Republican Congressman Announces Primary Bid Against Trump

Former South Carolina Governor and Congressman Mark Sanford will be taking on President Trump in 2020.

Sandford, a Republican, announced the primary bid on “Fox News Sunday.”

According to the Hill, Sandford said his bid is primarily to usher in a “conversation on what it means to be a Republican.”

“I’m here to tell you now that I am going to get in,” Sanford said on the program.

“As a Republican Party, we have lost our way,” he added.

Sanford, who served as a United States Congressman for South Carolina’s first congressional district from 1995 to 2001 and again from 2003 to 2011, said the Republican Party ought to clarify where it stands regarding the national debt and unprecedented spending.

“We have got to have a national conversation and a Republican conversation on where are we going on debt and deficit,” the Republican said, per the Hill.

According to the report, Sanford was expected to join in on the race, previously saying he would give himself until Labor Day to decide.

Here’s more:

Since announcing his potential White House bid, the former lawmaker has visited New Hampshire and Iowa, causing further speculation that he would launch a campaign.

Sanford could face an uphill battle. The Republican parties in Kansas and Sanford’s home state of South Carolina on Saturday voted to cancel their GOP primaries.

The president also has continued to have support from most Republicans. A recent Morning Consult poll found that 85 percent of them approved of him.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld (R) and former Rep. Joe Walsh are also challenging Trump for the Republican nomination.

Post & Courier reports Sanford’s only failed political campaign was his 2018 congressional loss in the GOP primary to Trump supporter Katie Arrington, who received the president’s endorsement.