On Wednesday, President Trump took to Twitter to enthusiastically show off a completed section of the border wall between the New Mexico and Mexico border.
“We have just built this powerful Wall in New Mexico,” Trump said in a tweet. “Completed on January 30, 2019 – 47 days ahead of schedule! Many miles more now under construction!”
The completed section reflects the steel-billard design rather than the concrete wall Trump initially announced.
Check it out:
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 20, 2019
Trump is still looking to move forward with the construction of the entire wall after he declared a national emergency at the border.
Washington Examiner contributor Eddie Scarry wrote in an op-ed that “the wall is real” and ranges from “18 to 30 feet high, depending on the terrain.”
🚨Urgent: Tell the Senate to STRIKE DOWN Impeachment! Sign the Petition, we need your signature!
To Add Your Name, Enter Your Email:
Money for the project came from the congressional budget passed in May 2017, signed by Trump. It granted $73.3 million toward the Santa Teresa area of border in New Mexico, which sits just outside of El Paso.
“We have just built this powerful Wall in New Mexico,” Trump tweeted. “Completed on January 30, 2019 – 47 days ahead of schedule! Many miles more now under construction!”
If the new construction for the New Mexico wall was completed on Jan. 30, that would also mean Trump was right about it finishing well ahead of schedule. A press release from the Department of Homeland Security in April last year said that the project would begin immediately and would take approximately 390 days, which would have been in May.
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency shared a before and after photo (seen below or here) of the border upgrade:
Flickr/Mani Albrecht/U.S. Customs and Border Patrol
As CNN reports, Trump’s decision to declare a national emergency to acquire additional funds and build the border wall is still being challenged in the courts as 16 states are suing:
Sixteen states on Monday evening filed a lawsuit challenging President Donald Trump’s national emergency declaration.
The group of states, led by California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, filed the lawsuit in the US District Court for the Northern District of California.
“We’re going to try to halt the President from violating the Constitution, the separation of powers, from stealing money from Americans and states that has been allocated by Congress, lawfully,” Becerra told CNN’s Kate Bolduan Monday.
The attorneys general from Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon and Virginia joined California in the lawsuit.
Fox News reports House Democrats are also looking to pass legislation which would effectively put an end to the emergency. Any legislation would also have to be passed by the Senate before it reaches the president, where he would likely veto the measure:
House Democrats will file a resolution Friday aimed at blocking the national emergency declaration that President Donald Trump has issued to help finance his wall along the Southwest border, teeing up a clash over billions of dollars, immigration policy and the Constitution’s separation of powers.
Though the effort seems almost certain to ultimately fall short — perhaps to a Trump veto — the votes will let Democrats take a defiant stance against Trump that is sure to please liberal voters. They will also put some Republicans from swing districts and states in a difficult spot.
Formally introducing the measure sets up a vote by the full House likely by mid-March, perhaps as soon as next week, because of a timeline spelled out by law. Initial passage by the Democratic-run House seems assured.