Trump CANCELS Military Parade Citing High Cost

President Trump is pulling the plug on a military parade through Washington D.C. due to what he claimed was too high of a cost.

The parade, which only had mixed support from voters, was slated for September and was supposed to honor those who served and continue to serve in the various Armed Services branches, show off military strength and capabilities, and a have a celebratory, patriotic feel.

“The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it. When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I canceled it,” Trump said in a tweet. “Never let someone hold you up!”

And, “I will instead attend the big parade already scheduled at Andrews Air Force Base on a different date, & go to the Paris parade, celebrating the end of the War, on November 11th. Maybe we will do something next year in D.C. when the cost comes WAY DOWN.”

“Now we can buy some more jet fighters!” the president tacked on the end of the tweet.

The Department of Defense recently announced they were looking to postpone the parade until 2019.

“The Department of Defense and White House have been planning a parade to honor America’s military veterans and commemorate the centennial of World War I,” Defense Department spokesman Colonel Rob Manning said in a statement, as CNN reports. “We originally targeted November 10, 2018 for this event but have now agreed to explore opportunities in 2019.”

Trump voiced support for a military parade after watching a French Bastille Day military march in Paris last year. There, First Lady Melania and he watched hundreds of soldiers and military vehicles parade the streets of the French capital.

Here’s even more, from BBC:

Trump was impressed by France’s Bastille Day parade on a visit in 2017 and said the US could “top it”.

But figures released on Thursday suggested the event could cost about $90 million (£71m) – more than three times the original estimate.

Critics had also made comparisons to parades in countries led by autocrats.

A Pentagon spokesperson, Colonel Rob Manning, said in a statement that the Department of Defense and the White House “have now agreed to explore opportunities in 2019”.

The $90 million estimate came from CNBC citing an anonymous source. The figure was disputed and criticized by Defense Secretary James Mattis.

Note: The author of this article has included commentary that expresses an opinion and analysis of the facts.

DISCLAIMER: Views expressed in articles do not necessarily reflect the views held by Sarah Palin.


Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of