On Wednesday, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced that President Trump will be the first President to make a live video address for the March for Life annual event, later this month.
According to their website, the March for Life event is the “largest pro-life event in the world.”
— Lauren Ashburn (@LaurenAshburn) January 17, 2018
The March for Life states its mission as:
The mission of the March for Life is to provide all Americans with a place to testify to the beauty of life and the dignity of each human person. Both in January, on the anniversary of legalized abortion in the US, and throughout the year we bring together pro-life leaders and groups to organize, unite and strategize around a common message, and to communicate this message to the government, the media and the nation in a way that is powerful and life affirming.
— March for Life (@March_for_Life) January 15, 2018
Here’s more, via Fox News Insider:
The annual event, held since 1974 in Washington, protests the “Roe v. Wade” decision dismissing many restrictions on abortion across the U.S.
Sanders said Trump will address the marchers live on Friday via satellite feed from the White House.
— Fox News (@FoxNews) January 17, 2018
“Since his first day in office, President Trump has remained steadfast on his campaign promises to the pro-life cause and has actively worked to protect the unborn…We welcome our 45th President, Donald Trump, to the 45th annual March for Life,” Town Hall reports March for Life President Jeanne Mancini said. “Over the past year, the Trump administration has significantly advanced pro-life policy, and it is with great confidence that, under his leadership, we expect to see other pro-life achievements in the years to come.”
Politico reports the March for Life president also said, “He has been great on pro-life public policy. He doesn’t lack courage. He’s been leaning into this issue in a way that’s refreshing.”
And, “There was some anxiety about how would it all pan out. But it’s been a delight to the senses seeing how faithful he’s been.”
— POLITICO (@politico) January 17, 2018
Town Hall also reports that Vice President Mike Pence and adviser to the President Kellyanne Conway previously addressed the event.
House Speaker Paul Ryan will also address the event this year, according to the report.
According to the Politico report, a couple U.S. Presidents have previously addressed the March for Life event via phone, but not in person or via satellite video:
The Trump administration broke with precedent last year when it sent Vice President Mike Pence to address the March for Life rally, a first for a sitting vice president. President Ronald Reagan addressed the group by phone in 1987, as did President George W. Bush in 2008.
Trump will address the group from the White House Rose Garden, accompanied by young anti-abortion marchers and March for Life’s chairman, Patrick Kelly. The location carries great symbolism for the group, which used to deliver individual roses to members of Congress as part of the annual march.
Check it out:
.@PressSec: “On Friday, we’re excited to announce, that the president will become the first sitting president to address the March for Life from the White House LIVE via satellite.” pic.twitter.com/ypI7Np2SjN
— FOX Business (@FoxBusiness) January 17, 2018