On Saturday morning, Native American activist Nathan Phillips approached and bothered a group of Covington Catholic High School students at the Lincoln Memorial. The incident resulted in a media frenzy.
Mainstream media outlets and political pundits blamed the students as the incident was initially misrepresented to be their fault. New information showed Phillips had approached the students—not the other way around as it was first reported—and began to chant and bang a drum inches from the face of one of the students, Nick Sandmann.
The subsequent coverage consumed mainstream media who were busy clarifying the details of the incident and some issued retractions for their initial coverage.
Sandmann was subjected to insults and death threats and was later interviewed by NBC News.
But what of Phillips? The Native American political activist reportedly tried to break into a Catholic Church, according to BizPac Review.
The Covington Catholic High School teenagers were in Washington to participate in the March for Life, the largest pro-life march in the country which regularly brings in hundreds of thousands of people. Participants still in the nation’s capital on Sunday evening joined the Washington, D.C.’s Basilica for evening mass—where Phillips reportedly tried breaking into.
“Following the events of last Saturday afternoon, when he approached a group of Catholic teens while loudly banging his drum, Native American man Nathan Phillips reportedly tried to interrupt a mass at the largest Catholic church in the all of North America,” the report read.
And, via the Catholic News Agency:
While chanting and playing ceremonial drums, a group of Native American rights activists reportedly led by Nathan Phillips attempted Jan. 19 to enter Washington, D.C.’s Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception during a Saturday evening Mass.
The group of 20 demonstrators was stopped by shrine security as it tried to enter the church during its 5:15 pm Vigil Mass, according to a shrine security guard on duty during the Mass.
According to the report, a guard at the church said he was forced to lock the doors to stop the protestors from getting in.
“It was really upsetting,” the guard reportedly said, via the Catholic News Agency. “There were about twenty people trying to get in, we had to lock the doors and everything.”
“We had hundreds and hundreds of people from all over the country come here to celebrate life, to celebrate each other together. That a protest tried to come inside during Mass was really the worst,” the guard continued.
He also said: “I’m just really grateful that nothing too bad happened, they were really angry.”
According to BizPac Review, Phillips may also be guilty of stealing valor:
Because according to the latest reports, he never served in the Vietnam War, despite repeated claims otherwise by The Washington Post and a number of other prominent outlets.
Here’s more, from the Washington Times:
According to multiple news accounts, the activist is 64 years old, which means he would have been 18 years old in 1973, the last year any U.S. combat units were stationed in Vietnam.
Mr. Phillips also claims to be a Marine veteran, although the last Marine combat units left Vietnam in 1971.
A careful reading of Mr. Phillips‘ own descriptions does not make clear if he ever set foot in Vietnam. Instead, he has used much more careful language claiming he is a “Vietnam times veteran,” an ambiguous phrasing that led many media accounts to conclude he was a combat veteran.
Mr. Phillips could not be reached for comment Monday.